As daylight saving time approaches, transitioning smoothly is essential to maintaining your wellness routines. Nike Well Collective trainer Briana Thompson shares three tips to help you prepare for the time change and ensure a seamless adjustment.
## 1. **Chase the Sun:**
– Exposure to natural light boosts serotonin levels, enhancing energy, calmness, positivity, and focus.
– Counter reduced daylight by working near a sunny window, taking short outdoor walks during breaks, or exercising outdoors whenever possible.
## 2. **Keep Sleep Consistent:**
– Maintain a consistent sleep schedule, even with the one-hour time change.
– Prioritize a calming bedtime routine, including activities like using a lavender diffuser, turning off electronics 30 minutes before bed, and incorporating white noise.
– Consistent sleep patterns contribute to better rest quality, overall health, and reduced risk of heart disease.
## 3. **Plan Exercise Ahead:**
– Block out specific times for exercise in your schedule, treating it like a committed meeting.
– Proactively adjust your exercise routine to align with changing daylight hours.
– Modification and preparedness are key to staying on track with your fitness goals.
By incorporating these tips, you can mitigate the potential negative effects of daylight saving time on your fitness and wellness routines. Remember to enjoy the extra hour of sleep as you transition smoothly into the new time schedule.